Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Melting Crayons!

It has been so hot here the past week. On Monday, I decided to use the heat to our advantage and do a science activity. We sorted all of our old crayons, peeled off the paper (if there was any left) and broke them into small pieces. Then we filled up ice cube trays with the pieces. We had a few ice cube trays that are fun shapes, such as flowers and stars. We took the trays outside and left them until the afternoon.

Some melted and mixed all together, some half melted, and then we had a few that did not melt at all!





They were a lot of fun to use to color with, especially the ones where the colors had mixed together some.


Today's freebie is: Math Board Game: Sequencing Numbers 1-15

Also, don't forget to check out my giveaway celebrating my new blog!

Plus check out this great giveaway that Lisa is having at her blog, Learning Is Something To Treasure.

6 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try that project!! It looks like a lot of fun!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! The students really enjoyed it and checking on it every 5 minutes to see how much had melted. They crayons were fun to color with since the colors were all mixed up and you didn't know what you would get while coloring :)

      Delete
  2. Hi there,
    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, I'm your newest follower! I use to make these with my Brownie Troop {They are now about to be 18 y/o} but only used muffin tins. Thank you so much for the idea about ice cube trays and using the sun...in Florida in August, this will be amazing for back to school! I've Pinned ya!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith’s Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith’s Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The ice cube trays are very easy to use, plus you can make fun shapes!

      ~Jenna

      Delete
  3. We did this with hearts and my kiddos love it!

    At Easter, we made eggs with crayon shavings and wax paper and they turned out very cute!

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance.


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute project! It's amazing how just a little time outside will melt those crayons.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! I reply to comments on my blog as well as through email.