Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Insect Unit- Ants!

This past week we started our insect unit. This is always a fun theme to do and the students love learning random facts about different insects. We spent a few days learning all about ants. Afterwards we made our own ants and then wrote about our ant, including where our ant lived and what it would eat. Here is how we made our ants.






Materials:
brown construction paper
black construction paper
eyes
brown pipe cleaners
glue

First we took our piece of brown paper



and cut it into strips. We cut the strips the length of the paper and then cut those in half. Each student received 3 strips (since ants have 3 body sections).



Next we rolled the paper and glued the ends together. Then we glued all three pieces to the black construction paper and added our eyes and cut 2 pieces of brown pipe cleaners to be our antenna. You may need to use a hot glue gun to make the pipe cleaners stay attached.



A few random ant facts for you:
-Ants do not have ears.
-The queen ant can lay millions of eggs during her lifetime.
-Worker ants are female.
-Ants do not have lungs.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Rose here, one of your newest followers. This looks like a fun craft idea. I plan on using it this week in my daycare.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute craft idea! Great post...thanks for sharing! I will have to look into that book! I am having a “Tour My Blog” linky party...stop by and link up! It is a great way for bloggers and their viewers to learn about your blog! I would love for you to join me!

    Brigid
    Bits of First Grade

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! I reply to comments on my blog as well as through email.