Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Science: Books to Go Along with A Rock Unit

These past few weeks in science we have been learning all about rocks! I am amazed at how well my students have done with this unit and they want to keep learning more! They have read every book about rocks that I have in my classroom and I had to go to the public library and get more books. Here are a few of the books that we have available in our classroom:

book on Amazon

My students are obsessed with this book. It has so much information in it and excellent photographs. We have used this book for lots of research and filling out our charts about rocks. 

book on Amazon
I used this book for our read aloud when we started our unit. It really got the students thinking about rocks and provided them with some great information to get our unit started. 

book on Amazon

The boys enjoyed this book. It introduces a few "weird" rocks, such as magnetic rocks and rocks that look like monsters. I was even able to get some of my boys (and a few girls as well) to write about some of the rocks that are in the book. It also has led to some great discussions about rock formations and searching for rock formation pictures on Google. 

book on Amazon
My upper students have taken turn reading this book. I mean, you can't go wrong with Magic School Bus! 

What books have you used when doing your rock unit? 

2 comments:

  1. It is soooooo exciting when students are excited to learn!! It looks like you found some great books to share with them :)

    Katie
    Mind Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's Go Rock Collecting is one of my all-time favorites to use with the first grade rock unit. Students love starting their own rock collections after reading that book!

    Wendy
    Read with Me ABC

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! I reply to comments on my blog as well as through email.